[ntp:questions] Performance of NTP under Windows Vista?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Mon Nov 19 18:15:45 UTC 2007

Eric wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 06:26:48 GMT, "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote for
> the entire planet to see:
>
>> Does anyone have any measurements of NTP running under Windows
>> Vista?  In particular, the Meinberg foehr 1520 version?
>
> Hi David -
>
> I'll let you know when my first PC is upgraded to Vista, oh in five
> or six years maybe.  Win2K is still on almost all my windows boxen.
> One or two are running XP.  Good luck.
>
> - Eric

Thanks, Eric.  Unfortunately people who are running Vista today will not
be able to wait!  Good luck with your unsupported OS.

I've done some measurements and report here:

  http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/ntp/NTP-on-Windows-Vista.html

I don't currently understand the behaviour, as it seemed to take several
days to reduce the offset by a hundred milliseconds (averaged), whilst
showing a lot of intermediate noise, followed by sudden cessation of the
noise when the offset was near zero.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has made comparative performance
measurements, or who has suggestions as to how to proceed.

Thanks,
David