[ntp:questions] Details about code structure

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Wed Nov 21 23:24:40 UTC 2007

>>> In article <c9950d540711171143r4208d50q4eb8ec44f5fd594 at mail.gmail.com>, prathapnirmal at gmail.com (Prathapnirmal) writes:

prathapnirmal> Hi All, Which will be the best document to refer if I need to
prathapnirmal> know information about the organization of code in ntp?

And the answer is...

prathapnirmal> One obvious way is to look at the makefile.am in
prathapnirmal> each directory to figure out what is made out of what.

That is the definitive answer.

prathapnirmal> ... I will put it across to everyone to see if there is
prathapnirmal> any documentation related to this. Also is there a design doc
prathapnirmal> that talks about this or other details?

There really isn't anything else.

The "market" for such a document seems to be small, and then there is the
issue of who would maintain it. Now, if somebody were to volunteer to write
and maintain such a document I'd be happy to put it in the distribution.

Would such a document really be all that useful?  It seems to me that the
codebase is pretty small, and it should not be all that hard to figure out.

I would much rather see us clean up the header files and split out some of
the functional pieces of the code into separate .c files.