[ntp:questions] Can anyone interpret these loopstats?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 23 19:52:39 UTC 2007

David J Taylor wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've been monitoring my Windows Vista system using the Meinberg
> distribution NTP, and it seems to have a peculiar behaviour of alternate
> good and bad timekeeping:
>
>   http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/mrtg/gemini_ntp.html
>
> Can anyone who understands loopstats and peerstats better than I do
> explain what's going on.  The files are here:
>
>   http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/gemini-vista-stats.zip
>
> In the event log NTP is showing errors: "Unable to initialise the .rnd
> file", but I don't think that's key to the operation of NTP itself.  The
> NTP service shows as running, and the W32time service as stopped.
>
> Thanks,
> Puzzled from Edinburgh (a.k.a. David)

How about your ntp.conf?  What does your ntpq -p banner look like?

I would make a small bet that the network between you and your upstream
servers is a real mess but looking only at your graphs doesn't tell me
much more than that.

I'm rather puzzled by the timing of the relatively flat period on your
daily graph.  It seems that you are getting the best performance between
about 11 AM and 9:30 PM.  I would expect the network to be busiest
during that period and consequently I would expect to see the worst
performance during that period.

What happened on Friday of week 45?  It looks as if that was about the
time everything turned to worms!