[ntp:questions] Log each request?

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Thu Nov 22 03:49:32 UTC 2007

scott.baker at gmail.com wrote:
> Is there a way to log each request from a client to a file? I'd like
> to keep a running log of whenever someone requests time from me. Then
> I can graph over time if usage has gone up or down using MRTG or
> something. Is this possible?

ntpdc -c monlist will give you a list of up to 400 (or is it 600?)
addresses that have queried your server and how many times. There is no
current way to log the queries (though you could run debug mode which
will show you the packets coming in and going out and from where. I
don't really recommend any of these approaches because writing to a file
really can really slow down a server.

Danny