[ntp:questions] Time server monitor by Meinberg - Vista

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Mon Nov 26 09:09:08 UTC 2007

Martin Burnicki wrote:
[]
> It seems that the routine which detects whether the NTP service is
> installed may require modification to work on Vista.
>
> My colleague who maintains the time server monitor will have to check
> this.
>
> Martin

Thanks, Martin.  A lot of things in Vista now require more priviledge than
before, at least when run from a user-mode program.  It could be something
as simple as ensuring that you only try and access the HKLM part of the
registry with read-only access.

By the way, I am seeing rather poor performance of NTP on Vista, and yet
Heiko (?) reported good performance earlier this year (IIRC).  Any tests
done at Meinberg?  Here are my results:

  http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/mrtg/gemini_ntp.html

Periods of stability and periods of oscillation.  Why?  The service is
started as:

C:\Tools\NTP\bin\ntpd.exe -M -g -c "C:\Tools\NTP\etc\ntp.conf"

on that system - the image path in HKLM\CurrentControlSet\services\ntp\.

Cheers,
David