[ntp:questions] drift file set to -500

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Tue Nov 27 20:34:30 UTC 2007

On 2007-11-27, Aggie <c.kevin.lam at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know how much it lose/gain per day yet. I will run it
> overnight today. If it is indeed a hardware problem, how can I fix it?

The frantically shouted phrase "hardware problem!" can, in reality,
refer to a wide range of issues.

If your clock runs consistantly in one direction (i.e. too fast _or_ too
slow), you may just need to adjust your kernel tick value to bring the
rate of change within the +-500PPM window.

> If it is not, what other problem may it be? I saw someone in the forum
> who could resolve this problem by changing the HZ varilable in the
> kernel to 250. But his original value was 1000 and mine is 60.

That case involved a Linux kernel.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>