[ntp:questions] Best practices for leaf nodes

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 28 17:08:48 UTC 2007

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Can anyone point me to a document that describes best practices for a
> leaf node using SNTP to synchronize its local clock?  I am particularly
> interested in recommendations regarding how often to poll the server and
> how to behave if no answer is received.

Do NOT poll the server more often than once in 64 seconds! If you get no
reply from a server, double the interval after each failure until you
get to 1024 seconds.  If you get no reply after twenty-four hours, quit
wasting your time and network bandwidth and try a different server.

This is documented in the RFCs for NTP and SNTP (RFC-1305 and RFC-4330.

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/database/rfc/rfc4330.txt

I think you'll find RFC-1305 nearby but I'm too lazy to look it up for you.

Given the limitations of SNTP it is probably sufficient to poll two or
three times a day.

Thank you for inquiring.  Several people have created mini-disasters by
getting this wrong.  See; e.g.
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~plonka/netgear-sntp/