[ntp:questions] Wireless Routers and NTP

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 28 17:34:09 UTC 2007

Rob Kimberley wrote:
> Does anyone have recommendations for an ADSL Wireless Router that I can
> manually set the NTP Server address on? My Belkin unit comes pre-configured
> with external server addresses. I want to use my own one here (Meinberg
> LanTime), as doing some tests on NTP jitter over wireless, and want all PCs
> and Router to be taking time from same source.
>
> Cheers
>
> Rob Kimberley

Routers generally do not do NTP in any way, shape, or form!  They don't
need to know the time!  Expensive professional level (Cisco) routers can
act as NTP servers or clients but using them in that way is not
recommended.  There have been a couple of moderately infamous
exceptions; e.g. Netgear and D-Link.  (Google for Netgear and Wisconsin
or D-Link and PHK)

If what you want is for the router's built in DHCP server to provide an
NTP server address it may be possible but I don't know of a router that
does that.  The DHCP protocol does allow a query for an NTP server
address so it should be possible.  It's possible that a router might
forward such a request and the reply.  I don't know of one that does;
I've been using the same clunky old LinkSys BEFSR81 for many years now
and haven't looked at the consumer router market lately.