[ntp:questions] Wireless Routers and NTP

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 28 20:35:24 UTC 2007

Rod Dorman wrote:
> In article <474DA691.9030407 at comcast.net>,
> Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:

>>Routers generally do not do NTP in any way, shape, or form!  They don't
>>need to know the time!
>

> Not to perform routing functions perhaps but many (most?) have an
> event log which would greatly benefit from having an accurate
> timestamp.

Maybe the more expensive and/or more modern routers do.  Mine does not.
  It keeps a log that I sometimes look at just for the amazement value!
  The amazement comes from the number of people probing my address
repeatedly and without success.  It does not timestamp this log.

My router, a LinkSys BEFSR81, also acts as a firewall and does not allow
any incoming connection that is not a response to an outgoing request.

There is no point to timestamping the log.  I can't do anything about
the thousands of probes I get daily.  My ISP might but I doubt if they
care enough.  If they did, I would probably have to pay them ten to a
hundred times what I do.

Now if I were operating a server (prohibited by my contract with
Comcast) I might spring for a more expensive/more capable router. . . .