[ntp:questions] drift file set to -500

Aggie c.kevin.lam at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 01:42:37 UTC 2007

Harlan,

I have been usign the -g option everytime i run ntpd.

> Do I recall you said you were using HZ=60?  If so, I recommend trying HZ=100 instead.

Ok, I will try that tomorrow. I'm testing how many second I gain
without runninig ntpd. Btw, what is the HZ for? what does it do?

> If you look at your logfile output, are you seeing time steps of approximately the same amount at approximately the same time intervals?

Where do I check the time step? please give me know instruction for
this.

===
Thanks Harlan, I will look into the tickadj function. Oh, I'm
wondering if the statistics files are correct when the drift file
reached 500 and then back to -500.

I have been recording the statistics file over the past couple days,
but the value in the drift change from 500 to -500. I do not believe
it's a gradual increase/decrease. It seems to me it's a jump,  because
i didn't have ntp.drift when i ran ntpd, but once ntp.drift was
created, it had a value of 500.

Thanks,
Kev.