[ntp:questions] Wireless Routers and NTP

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Thu Nov 29 07:51:09 UTC 2007

>Routers generally do not do NTP in any way, shape, or form!  They don't
>need to know the time!

That's misleading.

Routers often include anti-spam/abuse mechanisims which get logged.
It helps if the time stamps on the log files are correct.  It's easier
to get that if the router itself uses NTP rather than depending
upon some operator to set the time correctly.

At least some routers include (S)NTP clients.  Some of them are buggy.

Here is a good summary:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTP_server_misuse_and_abuse