[ntp:questions] Wireless Routers and NTP

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Nov 29 14:55:43 UTC 2007

Hi Rob,

Rob Kimberley wrote:
> Does anyone have recommendations for an ADSL Wireless Router that I can
> manually set the NTP Server address on? My Belkin unit comes
> pre-configured with external server addresses. I want to use my own one
> here (Meinberg LanTime), as doing some tests on NTP jitter over wireless,
> and want all PCs and Router to be taking time from same source.

As already mentioned in some other replies here the router's NTP server
configuration will (and should be) used to synchronize the router's system
time. I bet you won't even be able to use the router as an (S)NTP server.

If you have a laptop then you probably can connect it to your router either
via cable, or via WLAN.

If your LANTIME is also on your internal network you should configure ntpd
on your laptop to synchronize to the LANTIME.

First connect your laptop via cable and see how ntpd synchronizes. Then
disconnect the cable and connect via WLAN. The router should let your
laptop access the LANTIME either ways, so you can try both and compare how
the offset and jitter figures reported by "ntpq -p" (or in the loopstats)
develop over time.

I'd appreciate to see the results.

Martin
--