[ntp:questions] Wireless Routers and NTP

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 29 15:09:44 UTC 2007

Ryan Malayter wrote:
> On Nov 28, 11:34 am, "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilber... at comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>They don't
>>need to know the time!
>

> Many routers absolutely DO need accurate time, for security logging
> purposes. Since almost every "router" of any type (consumer or
> professional) offers firewall functionality, accurate tiem stamps are
> requried for logging.

My LinkSys BEFSR81 logs all the attempts it blocks but without time
stamps since it doesn't have any facilities for keeping time.

If I did get time stamps, what would I do with them?  There is nothing
whatever that I can do about the attempts to get into my network except
run a router/firewall that blocks them.

If what these people are doing were actionable, there might be some
point.  AFAIK it's not and even if it were, it would be impractical for
me to track down the perpetrators and haul them into court.  As long as
nobody succeeds in a break-in attempt, I'm not going to worry about it.