[ntp:questions] Wireless Routers and NTP

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Thu Nov 29 18:06:05 UTC 2007

>When I care about things like that and do not like the stock firmware, I
get
>a unit that will accept the openwrt.org firmware.

+1 for OpenWRT! I installed it on a Dell Truemoble 2300 router I got off
eBay for ~$10. The hardware is more or less identical to the Linksys WRT54G,
just much cheaper to buy secondhand.

Anyhow, I have a lot of various packages running on it, including NTPD which
acts as my time source for all machines on the LAN. The Windows SNTP client
is much happier to sync to a LAN source than trying to sync over the net and
just spits back an error saying it can't sync. My little router is even
serving on the NTP Pool @ 1.5Mb/s. ;)

Since my router is always on, (and uses very little power) it makes more
economic sense to run NTP on it than a regular PC.