[ntp:questions] Wireless Routers and NTP

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 16:51:57 UTC 2007

On Nov 29, 9:09 am, "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilber... at comcast.net>
wrote:

> My LinkSys BEFSR81 logs all the attempts it blocks but without time
> stamps since it doesn't have any facilities for keeping time.
>
> If I did get time stamps, what would I do with them?  There is nothing
> whatever that I can do about the attempts to get into my network except
> run a router/firewall that blocks them.
>
> If what these people are doing were actionable, there might be some
> point.  AFAIK it's not and even if it were, it would be impractical for
> me to track down the perpetrators and haul them into court.  As long as
> nobody succeeds in a break-in attempt, I'm not going to worry about it.

A few years ago, we noticed port scanning in our firewall logs coming
from another company. We have them the time range and the IP
addresses, and they were able to track it down and stop it.

Also, companies that accept credit cards mey be required by PCI-DSS to
maintain time-stamped firewall logs for at least a year. There are a
great many small businesses that accept credit cards which might also
have a wireless router/firewall on the interent.

My basic point: time-stamped logs do often contain actionable
information, and are often required by industry or governmental
regulations in many cases. They also make good sense, as thay can help
correlate network events for debugging purposes.