[ntp:questions] Help -- Problem Syncing With time.nrc.ca

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Oct 1 19:06:19 UTC 2007

On 2007-09-30, Rob <pse at nospam.com> wrote:

> ... my Linux box gets a Kiss of Death (kod) packet (".INIT.") when trying
> to connect or sync to time.nrc.ca.  (I can connect and sync to
> time.chu.nrc.ca).

> Here is my /etc/ntp.conf file:

The comment lines have been elided ...

> [rob at myarch ~]$ cat /etc/ntp.conf
>
> server time.nrc.ca iburst
> server time.chu.nrc.ca iburst
> server ntp2.cmc.ec.gc.ca iburst
>
> driftfile       /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
>
> restrict default ignore
> restrict 127.0.0.1
> restrict time.nrc.ca  nomodify noquery nopeer

That restrict line is your problem because time.nrc.ca resolves to
multiple IP addresses. Replace that line with the following two lines:

restrict 132.246.168.148 nomodify noquery nopeer
restrict 132.246.168.164 nomodify noquery nopeer

You will need to restart ntpd.

> restrict time.chu.nrc.ca  nomodify noquery nopeer
> restrict ntp2.cmc.ec.gc.ca  nomodify noquery nopeer
>
> logfile /var/log/ntp.log

If you have not done so already please take a look at
http://support.ntp.org/Support/AccessRestrictions. Depending on your
network architecture you may be able to greatly simply your access
restrictions.

Finally, it is not necessary to segregate the server and restrict lines.
I find it easier to manage servers and restrictions when the restrict
lines are listed below the matching server lines. Especially when a
server hostname resolves to multiple IP addresses. In your case it would
look like:

server time.nrc.ca iburst

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>