[ntp:questions] Help -- Problem Syncing With time.nrc.ca

Rob pse at nospam.com
Tue Oct 2 00:09:20 UTC 2007

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 12:41:40 -0400, Rob wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 09:50:04 -0400, Rob wrote:
>

>> But my Linux box gets a Kiss of Death (kod) packet (".INIT.") when trying
>> to connect or sync to time.nrc.ca.  (I can connect and sync to
>> time.chu.nrc.ca).
>>

> Hmm.  After restarting ntpd, my Linix box connected to time.nrc.ca.
> But this behaviour is intermittent.  After I restarted ntpd yet again, I
> received the ".INIT." kod packet.
>
> Does anyone know why I sometimes receive the ".INIT." packet from
> time.nrc.ca?
>
> Why does this only happen on my Linux box and not on my Mac?
>
> Rob

I solved the problem!  For some strange reason, time.nrc.ca does not
resolve to one IP address.  It resolves to two possible IP addresses!
see
http://inms-ienm.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/time_services/network_time_protocol_e.html

"The service at time.nrc.ca is actually served by two servers at different
IP addresses.  The DNS server will resolve the lookup to EITHER server."

To get my Linux box to reliably link and synchronize with time.nrc.ca, I
had to add the TWO IP addresses to my restrict lines in my /etc/ntp.conf
file.

restrict 132.246.168.148 nomodify nopeer notrap noquery
restrict 132.246.168.164 nomodify nopeer notrap noquery
restrict time.chu.nrc.ca nomodify nopeer notrap noquery

Note:  Only time.nrc.ca has this weird behaviour.
       time.chu.nrc.ca resolves to ONLY one IP address.

Rob