[ntp:questions] New Orphan Mode

Rob pse at nospam.com
Tue Oct 2 23:57:40 UTC 2007

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 08:01:22 -0400, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

> Steve Kostecke wrote:
>> On 2007-10-02, Rob <pse at nospam.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Does anyone know how to set up orphan mode properly?
>>

>> Orphan mode allows a group of servers to choose a leader when no
>> real time sources are reachable. You don't need orphan mode, or the
>> undisciplined local clock, in a leaf node system.
>>

>>>e.g.
>>>tos orphan 5
>>>server 127.127.1.0
>>>fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 5
>>>
>>>Is this right?
>>

>> No. Use _either_ orphan mode or the undiciplined local clock, but not
>> both.
>>
> <snip>
>> At least one of the nodes will need to be configured to poll an adequate
>> number of remote time servers.

Many Thanks for all the responses.  Now I know what to do.
Even where there are no local PPS, GPS etc time sources, use either the
local clock or orphan mode.  Where there is only one NTP server on your
LAN, it doesn't make any difference which one you use.  Just configure
either the local clock or the orphan mode in /etc/ntp.conf.

Rob