[ntp:questions] New Orphan Mode

Rob pse at nospam.com
Wed Oct 3 15:11:51 UTC 2007

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 19:26:26 +0000, David L. Mills wrote:

> Rob,
>
> The orphan mode is described on the Automatic NTP Configuration Options
> page in the latest documentation on the web. However, disregard the
> comments that advise all machines in the subnet have the tos orphan 5
> command. Only do this for your lowest stratum machines and be sure they
> can talk to each other,say on a shared Ethernet. Othewise, if one of
> them breaks, the others don't know about it.
>
> Dave

Thanks Dave.  I will only use orphan mode for my lowest startum machines.

I see from wikipedia that you originally designed ntpd.  Congrats!  It
does a great job at keeping time.  In my view, it does a much better job
than windows w32time.

P.S.  Sorry for the delay in responding.  For some reason, it is taking
some time for some posts to make it to my ISP's NNTP server.