[ntp:questions] Need Help Getting Stats to Work

Rob pse at nospam.com
Thu Oct 4 18:35:23 UTC 2007

Steve wrote:

> Is that directory writable by the ntpd user?

Hmm. Interesting question.  Both /usr/bin/ntpd and /etc/ntp/stats are
owned by root with a group of root.

[rob at myarch ~]$ ls -ld /etc/ntp/stats
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 48 2007-10-02 18:39 /etc/ntp/stats

I didn't think one needed a ntpd user.  I don't see one in /etc/passwd

I can create one if needed.

But since ntpd is being run during my init script as root, it should have
all the privileges to write into a directory owned by root.

Rob