[ntp:questions] "Trapping" in ntpd

Rob pse at nospam.com
Thu Oct 4 19:37:22 UTC 2007

Thanks Steve.  It looks like we are both having problems with the -l
option used in ntptrap.

I also noticed that there is a bug with the -n option.

[rob at myarch ~]$ perl ntptrap -?
Unknown option: ?
usage: ntptrap [-n] [-p <port>] [-l <logfile>] [host] ...

[rob at myarch ~]$ perl ntptrap -n 192.168.1.27
Unknown option: n
usage: ntptrap [-n] [-p <port>] [-l <logfile>] [host] ...

Hmm.  Both usage and the readme state that the -n option exists.
It is supposed to not set a trap (in those cases where a trap has already
been set presumably vioa ntpdc).

Oh well.. Not a big deal. Since ntptrap is the only trapping monitoring program, I see little need
for the -n option.

To get around the -l bug, one can just do:

ntptrap > ntptrap.log

Rob