[ntp:questions] NTPd with proxy

elio.gi at gmail.com elio.gi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 19:38:45 UTC 2007

On 3 Ott, 22:41, ricardocal... at yahoo.com.br (Ricardo Calado) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's possible to configure ntpd to connect to a ntp
> server, passing by a proxy server? How can i do this?
>
>       Abra sua conta no Yahoo! Mail, o único sem limite de espaço para
> armazenamento!http://br.mail.yahoo.com/

Hi Ricardo,
I've read some old messages on this mailing list and i've confused two
thing.
It seems that a connection that pass through a proxy can handle only
http traffic and not ntp.

A report you some lines:
>Typically proxy servers only handle HTTP traffic, and perhaps SMTP or
>a few other user-oriented protocols. This is because your web browser
>has been explicitly configured to use the proxy server.
>
>Internet-bound NTP packets, on the other hand, will go directly to the
>gateway router on your network segment, rather than the proxy server.
>(Of course, in some networks, the gateway router and the proxy server
>are the same device, but that doesn't matter much to you).
>
>If that gateway router or a firewall in front of it does not allow NTP
>traffic to pass from your machine, you can't use NTP to query internet
>time servers.

So my point of confusion was that if you can configure your proxy
server, perhaps you should configure your net in order to send ntp
traffic directly to the router couse sometimes proxy server and router
are the same device.

If you have other question, don't esistate to answer.
If you are the administrator of your net, you could explain us how
it's configured.

Thanks,
sorry for misunderstanding.

Elio.