[ntp:questions] Home Time Server

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Tue Oct 9 05:38:33 UTC 2007

Evandro Menezes wrote:
> With accurate time references freely available in the ether (WWV, GPS,
> TV and CDMA), no clock in existance should have to be set manually,
> ever.  Yet, even in this day and age, car clocks, VCRs, DVRs and
> stereos blink 12:00.  And with virtually all PCs connected at least
> part-time to the Internet, it's unacceptable that many of them display
> the time of by many minutes, if not even the wrong century.
>
> Now, there are many fine time servers available for networks.
> However, I wonder if with the increasing popularity of the NTP pool if
> some home units wold make sense.  For instance, there are many wall
> clocks synchronized by WWV.  If they had a WiFi interface, they could
> be a poorman's S1 NTP server (hello, La Crosse?).  At least some NTP
> pool aficionados would consider getting one, yes? ;-)

A nice idea, but I would not - as the radio clocks I have seen can be out
by 500ms and are not that reliable.  My GPS is far better.  If I didn't
have GPS, or I wanted a backup though, I might bet one.

By the way, I don't see why Internet-connected PCs should be that far out,
as Microsoft now runs its own NTP server, and most recent versions of
Windows include at least an SNTP client.  Should really be pre-configured.

Cheers,
David