[ntp:questions] NTPd with proxy

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Tue Oct 9 13:12:16 UTC 2007

On 2007-10-09, Ricardo Calado <ricardocalado at yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> We have a Solaris server that must have the time sync with an web
> site. This server is inside a private network that requires to access
> a windows proxy server to access to the web.

ntpd communicates directly with your remote time servers via port
123/UDP. You need to have direct access to your remote time server(s)
via the NTP port.

> If i open the sun management console and configure the proxy server in
> the netscape i can access to the web without any problem.

That's an HTTP proxy. There is no such thing as an NTP proxy.

> Where i need help is in the configuration of the NTPd in the sun
> server, if possible?
>
> In what configuration file i place the proxy server so the NTPd knows
> witch proxy he must connect to?

If the proxy server is also a time server (i.e. is running ntpd) you can
specify the proxy server on a server line in /etc/ntp.conf

If the proxy server is not running ntpd and you can't have direct access
to port 123/UDP form the private network your only solution may be
htpdate (which does work through a proxy):

homepage http://www.clevervest.com/htp/
htpdate(8) man page http://linux.die.net/man/8/htpdate

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>