[ntp:questions] Home Time Server

Evandro Menezes evandro at mailinator.com
Tue Oct 9 14:27:57 UTC 2007

On Oct 9, 12:38 am, "David J Taylor" <david-tay... at blueyonder.not-this-
bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

> A nice idea, but I would not - as the radio clocks I have seen can be out
> by 500ms and are not that reliable.  My GPS is far better.  If I didn't
> have GPS, or I wanted a backup though, I might bet one.

That's because the clocks use only the minute "chime" in the WWV
signal.  They might as well use the PPS "chime" in WWV.

> By the way, I don't see why Internet-connected PCs should be that far out,
> as Microsoft now runs its own NTP server, and most recent versions of
> Windows include at least an SNTP client.  Should really be pre-configured.

Microsoft's time server is a joke, both in terms of accuracy and
reachability.  It definitely cannot keep up with its clients, even
though they are configured to sync up only weekly, which in and of
itself is another joke.

Cheers.