[ntp:questions] project ntp.br - discrepancy from UTC

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Tue Oct 9 19:26:23 UTC 2007

One possibly relevant note is that a lot of standard/metrology labs
don't ever adjust their oscillators, but instead monitor the rate and
deal with that in data reduction.  There are a bunch of good reasons
(some of which were recently discussed over on time-nuts) such as
maintaining continuity of data, hysteresis and other bad effects from
making adjustments, etc.

Modern Cs and Masers have synthesizers that can adjust frequency, rather
than brute-force adjustment of magnetic fields that older units require.
  But even in that case, there may be reasons to leave the thing alone
once it's put into service.  (There are also nifty devices like
microsteppers that can slew the phase of an input signal at rates of
pico (or femto) seconds per second).

So the lab may be very happy with those Rbs, even if their raw PPS is
off by a microsecond a week.

John
----