[ntp:questions] ntpd just not working

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Wed Oct 10 06:25:42 UTC 2007

In article <slrnfgntnb.cbp.kostecke at stasis.kostecke.net>,
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> wrote:
> On 2007-10-07, David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> > A leaf node needs one, basic, server line and nothing else.

> Without a drift file line ntpd has no way of saving it's learned clock

If you had quoted the next sentence as well, it would have made clear
that a drift file was desirable.

The point I was making is that getting a working ntp configuration
is very easy. Everything else is optional.  Once you start adding
back options, you introduce more things that can go wrong, e.g. there
may be file permissions on the drift file; many people may think that
restricting ntpd to minimise allowed protocol interactions is essential,
so, following your precedent, might also follow up my article saying you
should have restricts, but the resulting over zealous restrict lines are
one of the most common causes of failed newbie installations, especially
with multi-homed servers.

People seem to think that you need lots of lines and options in the
configuration file before it will even work, but usually the problem
is that they have too many.

If you add the options in one at a time, after you have a working system,
you can tell exactly what breaks the system, and for some, non-security,
options, whether they actually give an benefit.