[ntp:questions] ntpd with CNAMEs - how clever is it?

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Fri Oct 12 16:48:28 UTC 2007

tucksonjack at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to edit my ntp.conf file to make it easier to administer.
>
> Currently my ntp.conf contains:
>
> server exchange1.example.com
> server ftp2.example.com
> server exchange2.example.com
>
> It seems sensible to change this to:
>
> server time.example.com
>
> or to:
>
> server time.example.com
> server time.example.com
> server time.example.com
>
> Where time.example.com is a CNAME to one of the servers mentioned at
> the top.

You could do this but don't use multiple copies of the same line. With
the latest development version you can use the pool option:

pool time.example.com

and it will use up to the first 10 ip addresses returned by the resolver.

> Is this is a good plan? Will ntpd get confused if time.example.com
> points to different things, or does ntpd track drift (etc) by ip
> address?

ntpd doesn't know about different things. All it keeps track of is the
IP address returned by the resolver.

Danny