[ntp:questions] getaddrinfo2: "192.168.0.2" invalid host address.

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sat Oct 13 02:15:33 UTC 2007

Aggie wrote:
> Sorry for posting the whole output messages.
>
> When I run ntpd with the debug option, I get the followings: //please
> take a quick look.
>
> If you do the search on "calling getaddrinfo(192.168.0.2,...)" from
> the following log, you will see
>
> getnetnum: calling getaddrinfo(192.168.0.2,...)
> reval before = 7476272
> retval = 9
> getaddrinfo2: "192.168.0.2" invalid host address.
>
> I'm very sure that 192.168.0.2 is the ip address of my host address.
> But then why is it saying it's invalid host address??
>
> It's weird getaddrinfo() is returning 9. Why??
>
> Thanks for the help

Please file a bug report here: https://support.ntp.org/bugs/index.cgi

There is no way to do this in the newsgroup. Please include O/S and
version as well as the configuration file and the commandline that you
used to start ntpd.

Please note there is no such function as getaddrinfo2() in ntpd so this
is coming from elsewhere. I can only guess that the code was trying to
lookup the IP address as a name instead of seeing it as an address.

Danny