[ntp:questions] Can a clock drift be too big for ntpd?

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Sat Oct 20 03:17:55 UTC 2007

>It is de-rigueur to mention Linux and missing interrupts in the same
>sentence. Even in the absence of evidence.

RedHat 7.2 shipped with IDE disks running with DMA disabled.
(I assumed that was a workaround for buggy hardware or a buggy driver.)

That was ok with light loads which covered most usage patterns.
I had a couple of hacks for measuring disk throughput that would
generate lost interrupts every time.  Lots of them.

Turning on DMA solved the problem.