[ntp:questions] Setting up NTP with GPS

Svein Skogen svein at d80.iso100.no
Sun Oct 21 01:53:56 UTC 2007

I' fairly certain this question has already been answered, since I doubt
it to be a truly new question, however I could not find the question
(nor the answer) through a simple search of the archives.

I'm in the process of setting up a somewhat reliable ntp setup, with the
help of a friend.

As of now, the setup is as follows:

# ---- Server one config start: -----------
# Server one internal address: 192.168.4.19
# Server one external adresss: ntp1.d80.iso100.no

# server 127.127.20.0 mode 7 prefer
server 193.62.22.82

# Our international friends:
server 85.248.115.102
server 145.24.129.5
server 195.10.6.126
server 128.10.252.6
server 129.174.93.11
server 155.101.3.114
server 218.21.130.42
server 219.117.196.43
server 219.117.196.238

# My Friends servers:
#
# XXXX
peer my-friends.primary
peer my-friends.satellite

# My off-site servers (Available through static router-to-router VPN)
peer 192.168.1.10
peer 192.168.1.11

# Our Cisco Routers
peer 192.168.4.1
peer 192.168.4.254
peer 192.168.255.3

# ---- Server one config end -----------

# ---- Server two config start: -----------
# Server two internal address: 192.168.1.10
# Server two external adresss: ntp2.d80.iso100.no

# Our main servers
server 85.80.176.52

# My off-site servers (Available through static router-to-router VPN)
peer 192.168.4.19
peer 192.168.1.11

# My Friends servers:
#
# XXXX
peer my-friends.primary
peer my-friends.satellite

# Our International friends
server 217.147.223.78
server 64.73.32.134
server 163.25.109.18

# Our Cisco boxes
ntp peer 192.168.1.1
ntp peer 192.168.255.1
ntp peer 192.168.255.2

# ---- Server two config end -----------

# ---- Server three config start: -----------
# Server two internal address: 192.168.1.11
# Server two external adresss: ntp3.d80.iso100.no

# Our basic servers
server 192.36.143.153

# My off-site servers (Available through static router-to-router VPN)
peer 192.168.4.19
peer 192.168.1.10

# My Friends servers:
#
# XXXX
peer my-friends.primary
peer my-friends.satellite

# Our international friends
server 163.25.109.18
server 211.51.221.130
server 66.96.96.29

# Our Cisco routers
# Our Cisco boxes
ntp peer 192.168.1.1
ntp peer 192.168.255.1
ntp peer 192.168.255.2
# ---- Server three config end -----------

As you can see, all servers are today inter-peering, and getting a
lower-stratum external sources aswell as servers on local and remote
continents.

On my primary (ntp1), I'm considering bringing my trusty old Garmin
GPS-III out of retirement, and setting it up as a standard NMEA (not
pps) time source, with UPS-support.

The question is this:

Will a setup such as this be accurate and/or stable enough to be of
value to the pool.ntp.org, and especially no.pool.ntp.org, or is the
setup not accurate enough for this?

The dns adresses given in the header for each server config matches a
real entry, and I'm open for feedback on what I can do to reconfigure
(if needed) before providing public service. Since my own need for
accurate clock is limited to the accuracy of logs (before writing abuse
mails), and the cpu load on these servers are light, the added load from
public use is insignificant.

All three servers are running behind Cisco IOS Firewalls with
audit-trail on NTP traffic (set up to drop any packets that doesn't
conform to the protocol standard).

All servers are running FreeBSD, and the OS/Platform spread is as follows:

ntp1.d80.iso100.no:	FreeBSD	RELENG_7	AMD64
ntp2.d80.iso100.no:	FreeBSD	RELENG_6	i386
ntp3.d80.iso100.no:	FreeBSD	RELENG_6	AMD64

Any and all input welcomed.

Regards,

Svein Skogen

--
Svein Skogen		| Mobile Phone:	+47 907 03 575
Solberg Østli 9		| svein at d80.iso100.no
2020 Skedsmokorset	| PGP Key:	0xE5E76831
Norway			| RIPE handle:	SS16503-RIPE
msn messenger: 		|
svein at jernhuset.no	|