[ntp:questions] Can a clock drift be too big for ntpd?

Patrick Nolan pln at glast2.Stanford.EDU
Tue Oct 23 17:57:22 UTC 2007

On 2007-10-19, Patrick Nolan <pln at glast2.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

> I realized something since yesterday.  This machine's unique feature is that I
> compiled a new kernel to add the Reiser file system.  I downloaded the
> source RPM for the exact version that came with the distro, and the only
> thing I changed was to enable ReiserFS.

I got a chance to reboot the machine with the original distro kernel,
without Reiser FS.  The clock problem goes away.  ntpd syncs up and stays
synced.

My next step will be to make a kernel with Reiser but with HZ reduced from
1000 to 250.  Stay tuned for further developments.

This is kernel 2.6.18 running on an Intel Core Duo, 2.4 GHz.