[ntp:questions] negative estbdelay?

Dave Johnson djohnson at sw.starentnetworks.com
Tue Oct 23 19:38:56 UTC 2007

Danny Mayer writes:
> If you are not using autokey authentication then it doesn't do the
> autokey dance and as a result is unable to estimate the delay between
> the broadcast client and the broadcast server. You didn't include the
> client or server config file so it's hard to be sure.
>
> Danny

Even though, it should be doing a burst on startup to calculate some
sort of delay right?  I usually see 0.004 sec on all clients.
Shouldn't some sanity checking of the calcualted delay catch this?

No auth is on. This is an isolated, unconnected subnet.  Once host is
setup for broadcasting as a local reference, all other hosts are
clients of that one host.

server:
------

started as:
ntpd --panicgate --configfile=/var/run/ntp.conf --pidfile=/var/run/ntp.pid

$ cat /var/run/ntp.conf
disable auth
disable stats
disable kernel
server 127.127.1.1 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4
fudge 127.127.1.1 stratum 0 refid EXTL
broadcast bcast minpoll 4 maxpoll 4

$ grep bcast /etc/hosts
172.16.63.255  bcast

$ ntpq -c lpeers
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
*LOCAL(1)        .EXTL.           0 l    1   16  377    0.000    0.000   0.001
 bcast           .BCST.          16 u    -   16    0    0.000    0.000   0.001

client:
------

started as:
ntpd --panicgate --configfile=/var/run/ntp.conf --pidfile=/var/run/ntp.pid

$ cat /var/run/ntp.conf
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
disable auth
disable stats
broadcastclient

$ ntpq -c lpeers
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
*card8           .EXTL.           1 u   15   16  377    0.001    0.338   0.069

--
Dave Johnson
Starent Networks