[ntp:questions] Too many servers listed in ntp.conf?

Dennis Hilberg, Jr. timekeeper at dennishilberg.com.invalid
Fri Oct 26 16:24:30 UTC 2007

A question was posted to the timekeepers mailing list about the quantity of
servers listed in the ntp.conf.

Chuck wrote:
 > i have read several places to use many servers in my servers listings.. i
 > presently have 12. is there a practical limit where after ntp only gets
 > sluggish and the extra servers dont really help it? i figured an
 > 'even dozen' should be a good round number :)

To which I replied:

 > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I remember reading somewhere that
 > ntpd will only make use of 10 servers max at one time, regardless of
 > how many are specified in the ntp.conf.

 > I have five in each of my ntp.conf files.

Am I right about that?  I thought I read that somewhere...

--
Dennis Hilberg, Jr.      timekeeper(at)dennishilberg(dot)com
NTP Server Information:  http://saturn.dennishilberg.com/ntp.php