[ntp:questions] How to choose time servers

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Fri Oct 26 20:57:53 UTC 2007

In article <slrnfi4if6.v3d.pln at glast2.Stanford.EDU>,
Patrick Nolan <pln at glast2.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

> and offset values less than 1.  How should I use these resources?

There isn't enough information to answer.  The answer will depend on
what other servers the stratum 2 servers use and what are your time
quality and availability requirements.

> Should I put them all in ntp.conf?

Almost certainly not.  You should consult with the owner of the stratum
one server before doing this, as the number of stratum two servers
implies that ordinary users are not expected to use the master.

> Should I use only the Stratum 2 servers?

If, as well as the local stratum one server, they also have at least three
other servers configured, and they are different for each server, I would
say that it would be exceptional that you would not use this option.

> Should I include one or more independent servers from somewhere else?

If the local stratum 2 servers only take time from the local stratum 1
server, you should probably use just one of them and use three external
stratum 2 servers, ideally ones which use disjoint stratum 1 servers.  If you
use more than one local server in this case, you should have enough external
servers to outvote the local ones and one in reserve.

If the situation is somewhere in between, you will have to make judgements.

If you have exceptional requirements, you need to talk to the people who
run the local time infrastructure.