[ntp:questions] How to choose time servers

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Fri Oct 26 20:56:50 UTC 2007

>>> In article <slrnfi4if6.v3d.pln at glast2.Stanford.EDU>, Patrick Nolan <pln at glast2.Stanford.EDU> writes:

Patrick> I'm located at a university.  We have a master Stratum 1 server
Patrick> with a GPS clock.  We also have at least four Stratum 2 servers
Patrick> which are synchronized with the master.  These are all very close,
Patrick> with delay and offset values less than 1.  How should I use these
Patrick> resources?

Patrick> Should I put them all in ntp.conf?
Patrick> Should I use only the Stratum 2 servers?

What is your local policy?  If you can't easily find out, just use all your
local S2s.

Patrick> Should I include one or more independent servers from
Patrick> somewhere else?

Might as well.

Have you see http://support.ntp.org/Support/DesigningYourNTPNetwork or
http://support.ntp.org/Support/ConfiguringNTP ?