[ntp:questions] How to choose time servers

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Fri Oct 26 21:25:23 UTC 2007

In article <slrnfi4if6.v3d.pln at glast2.Stanford.EDU>,
 Patrick Nolan <pln at glast2.Stanford.EDU> writes:
>I'm located at a university.  We have a master Stratum 1 server with a
>GPS clock.  We also have at least four Stratum 2 servers which are
>synchronized with the master.  These are all very close, with delay
>and offset values less than 1.  How should I use these resources?
>
>Should I put them all in ntp.conf?
>Should I use only the Stratum 2 servers?
>Should I include one or more independent servers from somewhere else?

Ask your IT dept.  They probably have a how-to-setup web page
that tells you which servers to use.

My guess is that they expect most users to use the stratum 2 servers.

If the IT dept is on the ball, their servers are already checking
various outside systems.  It probably doesn't make much sense for
most users to do that too.

If I was running that corner of the IT dept and you asked politely,
I'd probably say "Sure, use the S1 box too and tell me if you see
anything interesting."  But who knows.  They might say something
like "Go away kid and don't bother me."