[ntp:questions] FreeBSD 6.2 with Spectracom 9283 GPS units?

John Ioannidis ntp at tla.org
Mon Oct 29 02:52:34 UTC 2007

I need to syncronize several FreeBSD boxes off a Spectracom NetClock
9283 unit. For reasons that I can't elaborate here, I can only use the
RS485 and PPS signals off the 9283, not their built-in NTP servers.

So far, it looks like my best bet is to run STP and 50Ohm coax wiring
from the Spectracom to the FreeBSD boxes, get RS485-RS232 converters,
and using some leftover BNC T connectors from the days of thinlan
connect the PPS signal that's coming down the coax to the signal ground
and DCD pins of the RS232 connector.

Questions:

1. Has anyone on the list actually interfaced a 9283 to a unix box this
way? ANything I should watch out for?

2. Does there already exist a box that will do all this, so I don't have
to put it together myself?

Thanks,

/ji