[ntp:questions] ntpdate off by one hour in older redhat server

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at sun.com
Tue Oct 30 15:28:48 UTC 2007

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> joe wrote:
>> Hello I am trying to sync the date on my older redhat machines and it
>> seems like daylight savings are not working. I tried replacing the
>> localtime file with the NewYork file but no changes. This is the
>> output from ntpdate
>
> ntpd has NOTHING, repeat NOTHING, to do with daylight savings time!
> Daylight savings time is a figment of your imagination.  It is a common
> hallucination but still a hallucination.
>
> NTP deals ONLY in UTC (formerly known as Greenwich, or GMT).
>
> Local time is calculated by the operating system using the rules for
> your local area.  The politicians just love to change the rules every
> year or so, so be sure you have the correct rules for THIS year and the
> place where you live!
> <snip>

Right, what Richard said. Since you said that you tried replacing the
localtime file with the NewYork file, I presume that you are in the
Eastern US timezone. Since you also said that this only effected your
older Red Hat systems, and because this week marks the one week this
year where daylight savings time is still in effect while it was not
in previous years, I will go out on a limb here and suggest that the
time zone files on your systems are out of date and have not been
updated.

Brian Utterback