[ntp:questions] TimeStamp

Aggie c.kevin.lam at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 21:42:17 UTC 2007

Dear all,
I'm very confused on how ntp do the timestamp. I'm running ntpd on
vxworks. It seems to me that the receive timestamp and the Transmit
timestamp are using two different clocks, because when I use ethereal/
wireshark to look up the information of the ntp packet,
the Recevie Time Stamp is: Jan 1, 1970 00:21:26.0827 UTC
the Transmit Time Stamp is : Oct 29, 2007 15:20:30.1500 UTC

However, the actual time period between these two time stamps is only
a couple second apart. It makes me think that they are using to
different clock to stamp the packet. Am I Right???

Kevin