[ntp:questions] Server and Client can't sync

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Tue Oct 30 23:01:29 UTC 2007

In article <1193698184.474071.249360 at i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Aggie <c.kevin.lam at gmail.com> wrote:

>   To have NTPD run on VxWorks and Windows. Set VxWorks as the Server

> couple minutes, the clock on Windows was changed to 5:15pm, Nov 21
> 1988. I have no idea why it happened. So I looked at the timestamp

> Reference clock update Time: Oct 29, 2007 15:17:57.08333 UTC
> Originate Time Stamp: Oct 29, 2007 15:16:42.9551 UTC
> Receive Time Stamp: Jan 1, 1970 00:21:26.0827 UTC
> Transmit Time Stamp: Oct 29, 2007 15:20:30.1500 UTC

I don't have the VxWorks knowledge (few if any on the newsgroup do) to
understand why the receive and transmit timestamps are wildly different
when you didn't change the clock between them, however, if you are really
running ntpd on Windows, because the delay was huge and negative, it
should not have stepped the time.  If it really is ntpd, maybe there is
a bug in that it doesn't use the absolute magnitude of root distance to
decide to reject a source.  A minus eighteen years delay really
shouldn't be accepted!