[ntp:questions] Research Project - NTP and evolution

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 3 13:52:57 UTC 2007

James Charters wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a university student undertaking a small undergrad project on NTP/SNTP.
> I was wanting to know about any sources pertaining to the evolution of NTP,
> particularly any showstopper flaws / security issues in versions up until
> v3.
>
> Also, is anyone aware of whitepapers etc on the NTP implementations in
> Windows and Linux, specifically in their compliance (or non-compliance) to
> the protocol spec?
>
> If anyone could help out, I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> Cheers.

I think you need to look at a copy of Professor Mills' book on NTP:
"Computer Network Time Synchronization: The Network Time Protocol"
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/002-1453468-6813639?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=+%22David+L.+Mills%22
  RFC-1305 is good reading.  I don't know how far back the archives of
this newsgroup go, but they should be good reading as well.