[ntp:questions] NTP settings for machine with irregular, short connections to the Net

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Sun Sep 9 16:49:46 UTC 2007

On 2007-09-09, Jason Rabel <jason at extremeoverclocking.com> wrote:

>"ATTRIBUTION MISSING" wrote:
>
>> In other words, the clocks in the LAN may be off, but all by the same
>> value. And from time to time, the laptop 'brings home' a correction.
>
> Perhaps try peering all the PCs on the LAN

That's what orphan mode is intended for.

When orphan mode is combined with manycast, multicast, or broadcast
modes (using symmetric keys or with authentication totally disabled)
a minimal configuration file can be shared between all participating
systems.

> and see how it goes? I've never tried that though.

Orphan mode will keep a group of clocks togther. But it does nothing to
ensure that one clock second is roughly equal to one real second; that's
why you need an accurate time base.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>