[ntp:questions] xntpd hanging

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 10 12:41:34 UTC 2007

Clive George wrote:
> "Danny Mayer" <mayer at ntp.isc.org> wrote in message
> news:46E52CCD.8090609 at ntp.isc.org...
>
>> Clive George wrote:
>>
>>> "Jason Rabel" <jason at extremeoverclocking.com> wrote in message
>>> news:000001c7f353$fede11b0$5001a8c0 at Inspiron...

>>> I'm running the one which came with our version of AIX 5.3 - I did try
>>> looking for a version command before asking the question :-) Any
>>> ideas how
>>> to find out?
>>>
>>> xntpd -l /home/cg5/a.a -dddddddddd
>>>
>>> Here's what's in /home/cg5/a.a:
>>>
>>> 10 Sep 10:02:26 xntpd[1450078]: logging to file /home/cg5/a.a
>>> 10 Sep 10:02:26 xntpd[1450078]: 3.4y
>>

>> If 3.4y is the version number which it probably is, you are dealing with
>> ancient history. Install the latest version of ntp which is currently
>> 4.2.4p4 for -stable. We have no way of dealing with anything in the 3.x
>> versions.
>

> Ok, thanks.
>
> Turns out it's likely to be this problem:
>
> http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg1IY83597
>
> Re the old versions thing - IBM seem to have a habit of using old
> versions of software...
>
> cheers,
> clive

I think just about all the vendors do this!  It might have something to
do with the fact that there is still no RFC for NTP V4.

I heard rumors a couple of years ago that a committee was being formed
to write a new RFC.  One suspects that the committee died, lost
interest, or became hopelessly deadlocked.