[ntp:questions] dumping ntpd's state and multiple IPs/hostname

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Wed Sep 12 07:11:18 UTC 2007

>In thinking about this, it looks like this might also be a good time to
>look at adding an option to the 'server' and 'peer' directives to allow
>some number of IPs to be used instead of the current "first address
>only".
>
>This feature would help greatly with things like pool.ntp.org .
>
>Is this a good idea?  (I think so, but I'd like a reality check.)

I think it would be a great idea.  The "pool" keyword seems like
the obvious choice.

>If so, should we just take as many answers as we get, or should we have
>a limit?

I think there should be a parameter for how many to take.

You should probably save the others.  (or the first N of them,
where N is what fits into a UDP packet)

I assume you realize you are sticking your toe over the edge of
a slippery slope.  The next step is to occasionally dump the
worst of active server and try another one.  Maybe that should
involve another DNS lookup.  If so, you shouldn't stop using the
ones that are working well.

As a start, you could try another address from the list if one
you picked doesn't work.  And maybe do a new DNS lookup at
most every few hours if you need another address.