[ntp:questions] NTP Third party client on Windows OS ?

Dennis Hilberg, Jr. timekeeper at dennishilberg.com.invalid
Wed Sep 26 16:44:56 UTC 2007

David J Taylor wrote:
> One thing you may want to check for is any "power-saving" measures in the
> BIOS which vary the clock speed.  I don't know how well NTP copes with
> such things happening behind its back.  You may be able to enable and
> disable these BIOS functions within Windows.
>
> It is important that the Multi-Media Timer flag be set so that Windows is
> always running in MM-timer mode, otherwise there will be steps in the
> timing every time that the MM timer is enabled or disabled, which happens
> frequently in normal use.
>
> When synced to a local GPS/FreeBSD server, these are the results my
> Windows systems get:
>
>   http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/mrtg/daily_ntp.html
>
> Cheers,
> David

I followed your recommendations, and have much better performance now.
Offset on my Windows machine is in the +- 2ms range and noise and jitter are
both in sub-millisecond range.

Thanks for the tips.

--
Dennis Hilberg, Jr.      timekeeper(at)dennishilberg(dot)com
NTP Server Information:  http://saturn.dennishilberg.com/ntp.php