[ntp:questions] Windows won't Sync to NTP server

mlind lind.fedora at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 12:20:33 UTC 2008

On Apr 1, 5:01 am, Martin Burnicki <martin.burni... at meinberg.de>
wrote:
> Danny,
>
> Danny Mayer wrote:
> > David Woolley wrote:
> > ntp 4.2.4p4 does not include that fix nor do any of the tarballs for
> > ntp-dev yet. That fix is coming.
>
> The fix *is* already there. It has been introduced in ntp v4.1.73, and is
> still in the current ntp-stable version, i.e. 4.2.4p4.
>
> If a "symmetric active" (mode 1) request is sent to ntpd v4.2.4p4 then the
> daemon also replies with a mode 1 response.
>
> Dave has (unintentionally ?) removed that workaround in ntp-dev, and he has
> re-added it recently. However, AFAIK, the re-added fix has not made its way
> into the ntp-dev repo, or any tarballs.
>
> Martin
> --
> Martin Burnicki
>
> Meinberg Funkuhren
> Bad Pyrmont
> Germany

Windows Clients are not domain machines.  Length is 48 bytes for both
Linux and Windows Clients.

According to the Event viewer the NTP server is "unreachable" even
though I run:

w32tm /monitor /computers:<my NTP IP>

And get:

ICMP:  error IP_REQ_TIMED_OUT - no response in 1000ms
NTP:  -229.9545908 offset from local clock
     RefID:  ntp.logicx.net [64.25.87.54]

I know that the ICMP should be blocked per the FW in between my
Windows Client and the NTP server.

Thanks again