[ntp:questions] high precision tracking: trying to understand sudden jumps

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Tue Apr 1 13:59:38 UTC 2008

On 2008-03-31, David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid>
wrote:

> Steve Kostecke wrote:

>>> You appear to be quoting an off list reply with no indication of
>>> permission, although it is just possible that the email gateway
>>> forwarded it to email subscribers without forwarding it to the
>>> usenet group proper.
>>
>> What you are suggesting is not possible.
>>
>> The Usenet news-group is just another subscriber to the questions
>> list.
>
> It's certainly very possible that the missing article was private
> email only, although possibly by mistake.

Private e-mail can not be a "missing article".

>The mailing list doesn't seem to be a simple subscriber,

There is only _one_ type of list subscriber: those who receive mail from
the list.

>as an example quoted before showed no sign of attachments in the usenet
>version, but the mail archive version that I was pointed to mentioned
>that attachments (a PGP signature) had been suppressed.

Our mailing lists strip out all manner of MIME cruft. The gateway is a
bit more stringent to protect those of us who use real (i.e. console)
news readers.

> I assume you mean the usenet gateway is a subscriber, as usenet
> groups can't subscribe to mailing lists on their own. In that case,
> it is at least theoretically possible that the gateway suppresses the
> message on the usenet side, but if it is an ordinary subscriber on the
> mailing list side, the message will still go to other mailing list
> subscribers. One obvious case in which this would happen is if there
> was a duplicate message ID.

Both the mailing-list and the gateway use the original message ID to
prevent duplicate posts/articles.

Every post/article is propagated exactly _once_.

There is no supression. There is no Cabal.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>