[ntp:questions] Windows won't Sync to NTP server

mlind lind.fedora at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 13:57:21 UTC 2008

On Apr 1, 8:20 am, mlind <lind.fed... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 1, 5:01 am, Martin Burnicki <martin.burni... at meinberg.de>
> wrote:
>

> > Danny,
>
> > Danny Mayer wrote:
> > > David Woolley wrote:
> > > ntp 4.2.4p4 does not include that fix nor do any of the tarballs for
> > > ntp-dev yet. That fix is coming.
>
> > The fix *is* already there. It has been introduced in ntp v4.1.73, and is
> > still in the current ntp-stable version, i.e. 4.2.4p4.
>
> > If a "symmetric active" (mode 1) request is sent to ntpd v4.2.4p4 then the
> > daemon also replies with a mode 1 response.
>
> > Dave has (unintentionally ?) removed that workaround in ntp-dev, and he has
> > re-added it recently. However, AFAIK, the re-added fix has not made its way
> > into the ntp-dev repo, or any tarballs.
>
> > Martin
> > --
> > Martin Burnicki
>
> > Meinberg Funkuhren
> > Bad Pyrmont
> > Germany
>
> Windows Clients are not domain machines.  Length is 48 bytes for both
> Linux and Windows Clients.
>
> According to the Event viewer the NTP server is "unreachable" even
> though I run:
>
> w32tm /monitor /computers:<my NTP IP>
>
> And get:
>
> ICMP:  error IP_REQ_TIMED_OUT - no response in 1000ms
> NTP:  -229.9545908 offset from local clock
>      RefID:  ntp.logicx.net [64.25.87.54]
>
> I know that the ICMP should be blocked per the FW in between my
> Windows Client and the NTP server.
>
> Thanks again

On Apr 1, 8:20 am, mlind <lind.fed... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 1, 5:01 am, Martin Burnicki <martin.burni... at meinberg.de>
> wrote:
>

> > Danny,
>
> > Danny Mayer wrote:
> > > David Woolley wrote:
> > > ntp 4.2.4p4 does not include that fix nor do any of the tarballs for
> > > ntp-dev yet. That fix is coming.
>
> > The fix *is* already there. It has been introduced in ntp v4.1.73, and is
> > still in the current ntp-stable version, i.e. 4.2.4p4.
>
> > If a "symmetric active" (mode 1) request is sent to ntpd v4.2.4p4 then the
> > daemon also replies with a mode 1 response.
>
> > Dave has (unintentionally ?) removed that workaround in ntp-dev, and he has
> > re-added it recently. However, AFAIK, the re-added fix has not made its way
> > into the ntp-dev repo, or any tarballs.
>
> > Martin
> > --
> > Martin Burnicki
>
> > Meinberg Funkuhren
> > Bad Pyrmont
> > Germany
>
> Windows Clients are not domain machines.  Length is 48 bytes for both
> Linux and Windows Clients.
>
> According to the Event viewer the NTP server is "unreachable" even
> though I run:
>
> w32tm /monitor /computers:<my NTP IP>
>
> And get:
>
> ICMP:  error IP_REQ_TIMED_OUT - no response in 1000ms
> [...]

I have now tried this:

NTP VERSION (From CENTOS):

ntp-4.2.2p1-7.el5

NTP CONFIG:

restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict -6 ::1
server 0.fedora.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 1.fedora.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 2.fedora.pool.ntp.org iburst
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift

Again nothing has changed.  Both 0x1 modes and 0x8 modes do not work.
Also the "w32tm..." command I tried above gets similar results.

I am at a real loss here....

Thanks again for all your help