[ntp:questions] high precision tracking: trying to understand sudden jumps

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 21:58:49 UTC 2008

On Mar 30, 8:05 pm, starli... at binnacle.cx wrote:

> Might try them later, but I can't belive a high-quality
> SMC switch is causing multi-millisecond delays.  Just not

Do you have access to a different (Cisco, Extreme, Foundry, or HP)
switch for testing? If not, try a crossover cable between the NTP
server and one of the systems. If the problem disappears, you'll know
the switch was the culprit.

We've seen lots of strange issues with less expensive switches
(NetGear, similar to SMC) that just don't happen with the more
expensive brands. You often get what you pay for.